Thursday, September 10, 2009

3rd Grade Wisdom...

So today I'm subbing in 3rd grade. Just took my students down to their specials (Music and PE). We're talking about things before heading down and a couple of students had questions or stories to tell.

Here is a conversation between a boy and I (btw - very sweet kid - I subbed in his 2nd grade classroom last year a couple of times):

Boy: Mrs. Rhode I have a question.

Me: Well I have an answer for you!

Boy: (giggling from my response) I was wondering when you are going to start teaching kids in your own classroom?

Me: Well what do you mean (boy)? (hoping he didn't mean "get out of here we hate you" lol)

Boy: You're a great teacher Mrs. Rhode. You should be teaching your own class. (to which other students start chiming in "Yeah!" and "We love you Mrs. Rhode!")

Me: Well thank you (boy), but there has to be a job somewhere for me to have. Until a school has a job for me, all I can do is sub. But at least I get to see you guys again!

That is why I do what I do. That is why I'm a teacher. To make a difference in the lives of students. If a 3rd grader, who hasn't seen me since last spring (and on my first day subbing in his room this year), knows that I should be put into a position teaching my own students in my own classroom, why can't schools see that too?? Maybe I should start getting recommendation letters from these students. I'll start sending those in to principals to show them that even kids have a lot to say when it comes to their teachers.

1 comment:

Lost Countdown